Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dirty Chick: 4 Stars

Dirty Chick: Adventures of an Unlikely Farmer by Antonia Murphy

After living most of her life in San Francisco, Antonia and husband Peter move to New Zealand to escape into a quiet life of farming. Antonia had some experience with chickens (although, it wasn't the *best* experience) and she felt like she could tackle a life of farming quite easily. But it turns out it wasn't everything she thought it would be.

Dead chickens, escaping cows, spitting alpacas, and cute lambs that grow into ugly sheep were only the tip of the iceberg of all the problems Antonia had to face in her new life. By far the most challenging was becoming a mother of a son with disabilities and a very frolicsome daughter.

Antonia Murphy holds nothing back and she explains everything that happened to her in her first year as a farmer. This book is not for the faint of heart, as she describes in vivid detail what goes into raising animals and children. With a raw sense of humor and sarcasm pouring out of every page, she is sure to get you laughing and crying out in disgust all at once. Her wit and personality draw you into the story and make you feel like she is an old friend telling you stories around a fireplace as you sit around drinking hot cocoa. By the end of the book, you feel like you have a new friend.

The story reminded me of different experiences I had in my life, despite never having lived on a farm nor having raised children. My parents had chickens when I was a kid, which somehow made me think we were farmers. I remember watching Sesame Street one day with my brother and laughing at a clip of young kids reacting to a baby chick. I told my brother "City kids are so funny!" and my mom laughed and laughed thinking "Aw honey, you are a city kid!".

If you are looking for a light-hearted tale of one woman's journey from city kid to farmer, look no further than Dirty Chick.  You won't be disappointed.

Rating: PG-13

Recommended for those who enjoy: sarcasm, sassy female protagonists, and child rearing tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment