Saturday, November 8, 2014

Looking For Alaska: 3 Stars

Looking For Alaska by John Green

I don't know how many of you have ever seen an interview with John Green or have seen one of the many videos he has floating around the Internet, but let me tell you, that man is hilarious. He's the perfect combination of funny and nerdy with a good dose of wit. He never ceases to make me giggle. In fact, I knew about, and adored, John Green long before I ever read any of his books.

Now a question lingers in my mind: Do I like John Green's books because I like his books OR do I like John Green's book because I like John Green?

Looking for Alaska is a coming of age story about a young boy, Miles, who is ready go go out and find himself. He is a relative unknown at his high school and is now headed off to a boarding school, where he is ready to become someone.  With the quirk of loving to find out people's dying words, it doesn't take Miles long to bond with his roommate, Chip, the bad boy.

Within minutes of meeting, Chip and Miles have a connection. Chip, who goes by The Colonel, gives Miles the nickname of Pudge and introduces him to Alaska, a girl who instantly wins over Pudge. The trio soon become an unbreakable force, breaking the rules and rebelling. Pudge finally feels like he has a place in the world.

But all the changes one fateful night.

This story had many elements that I enjoyed: I loved Pudge's quirk of finding out last words, I loved the Colonel's unwillingness to mold to specific type of person, and I loved Alaska's wild and fearless attitude.

The story also had elements that annoyed me: I am not a fan of teenagers with the indestructible attitude because I find them annoying, I am not a fan of teenagers who miss the consequences of being irresponsible, and I am not a fan of self absorbed characters (which I felt was Pudge).

This being my third book by John Green, I am left with the same question I had before: Do I like John Green's books because they are great reads, or because I really like John Green? 

The answer is: I don't know.

What do you think?  Can an author's personality change how you look at a book?

Rating: PG-13

Recommended for those who enjoy: YA, teenage love, and coming of age stories.


Don't forget my Mystery Book Giveaway!  
Click for details and DON'T FORGET TO ENTER!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think knowing who an author is or what they're like can affect the way you read a book. I'm probably way more generous with a book if it's by an author I like and respect… On the other hand, if I don't care for the author (either don't like books they've written or just don't like their personality), I'm more nitpicky because I go in assuming the worst.

    That being said, I do think John Green's older books are just not as good as TFiOS. :P

    ReplyDelete