Thursday, April 24, 2014

Farewell, My Subaru: 2 Stars


Farewell, My Subaru by Doug Fine 

I saw this book at the library and couldn't resist. The book is about a man who trades in his Subaru and way of life for a more self sufficient lifestyle and a truck that runs of grease. I, myself, own and love my Subaru and have passing interest in becoming more self sufficient (like riding my bike more, raising chickens, and growing fresh fruits and veggies).

I really, really liked the concept for this book and think the journey this guy went through was incredible.  Sadly, I thought he was a pretentious, judgmental jerk. He drove me crazy with his harsh judgements of those around him (including very nice people who do nothing but help him). I also roll my eyes at the idea that he just wanted to reduce his carbon footprint when the book starts out with "after my girlfriend dumped me".  Yep, that's what I thought. You were dumped. What is it with people getting dumped and then deciding society isn't worthy of them anymore and that they, in their infinite wisdom, will show the world how it is done?  I am all for reducing carbon footprints, being self sufficeint, and preserving the enviroment, but please get off your high horse.

Rant over.

Rating: PG


No comments:

Post a Comment