Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Yoga Store Murder: 4 Stars


The Yoga Store Murder by Dan Morse

As a fan of true crime books, I was super excited for this one. The Yoga Store Murder: The Shocking True Account of the Lululemon Athletica Killing is exactly that. Perhaps because I live on the other side of the country, or because I have a hard time watching the news anymore, I hadn't heard of this particular crime. So I read it not knowing how it ended.  I think that is the best way to read this.

One night, two yoga store employees are attacked. One is killed and one is left for dead. This book takes you through the crime like you are an investigator.  You get the information like they do. You start off, much like the cops, believing one thing.  Then you start to question everything. But frankly, you don't want to believe that you're right. It took all the self control I could muster not to Google how this one ended.

I loved this book. It was gripping and well-written.  Although it's a non-fiction book, it was written like a fiction book, keeping you hooked to the story. You really felt like you were there, involved in the investigation. You get a great sense of the whole ordeal, since Morse gives you great background on most people involved.

I will say one thing: It was hard to get through the description of the murder. Since this really happened and isn't just a story, the description of the actual murder disturbed me. You get to know the young woman and her family.  And the murder itself is horrific and brutal. Actually, I don't think horrific and brutal are strong enough to describe what happened. It is so sad to think about this poor girl and what she went through. Unfortunately, this really did happen and the book wouldn't have done it justice without the details.

I would recommend this book to anyone who like non-fiction and/or crime books.  It was awesome!

Rating: R (graphic murder description)

No comments:

Post a Comment