Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Pulitzer Prize Winners Challenge: To Begin

Before I begin my journey of reading all of the Pulitzer Prize winners for Fiction, I thought I'd summarize my opinion on the ones I have already read. There happen to be only two, and they could not have been more different experiences for me.

1. To Kill A Mockingbird

 


To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee won the Pulitzer Prize in 1961. I read this book as a freshman in high school...and have read it about seven times since.  I loved the book.  I immediately felt a connection with Scout, who is a know-it-all, stubborn little tom-boy. I also adored Atticus Finch.  Seriously, I think he is an amazing man of great integrity.  He was a wonderful example for his two little children.  Then of course they throw in the addition of the mysterious neighbor that everyone talks about but no one sees. This book had me hooked from beginning to end. In fact, it always has me hooked every time I read it. I LOVED this book!


2. The Old Man and The Sea


The Old Man and the Sea was a different story.  I read this one as a sophomore in high school. I struggled to get through this one. I remember sitting down and focusing on reading the book, and then the next thing I know I am waking up.  The book LITERALLY put me to sleep EVERY time I tried to read it.  Ugh!  It was so boring!  And then I hit the end.  Oh man.  You know that scene in Silver Linings Playbook (the movie) where Bradley Cooper is reading Hemingway and he get to the end?  Yep...that was exactly how I felt!




No comments:

Post a Comment